The collieries at Wingham (near Canterbury), and Woodnesborough (near Sandwich), were abandoned with the outbreak of war in 1914 without reaching coal. Wingham Colliery is shown on the 1931 OS map to the north of the Wingham-Staple road, just east of the village. The site is now occupied by a grain and feedstuff depot.
There is also a branch line railway shown on the map, with a halt at the bottom of the hill below the colliery. Very little of the old colliery buildings remains to show where the colliery stood or where the railway once ran.
The following information was supplied by Mark Frost:
"Wingham Colliery is now occupied by Grain Harvesters Ltd. There are several homes on the site as well; the homes are all post-colliery (including a prefab), except the mine manager's house which still stands. There are also 2 other colliery buildings - a small store or workshop and a larger building beneath the towering silos, labelled 'Workshop'."